Friday, February 4, 2011

SCBWI NYC: Believe in the Work

What blog would be complete without a wrap-up of the SCBWI New York conference?  This was my first national conference, and it was wonderful to say the least.  (It was also my first trip to NYC, so I felt like I was walking around with my mouth hanging open much of the weekend.)

The best part of the conference for me was hearing the awe-inspiring authors speak: Jane Yolen, R.L. Stine, Lois Lowry, Linda Sue Park, and more.  They all spoke to writing as a craft and following your heart.  The real reward, they said, can be found in the art and work of writing itself.  Some of them taught us how to find inspiration.  Others taught us how to handle the inevitable difficulties and disappointments that are part of the writing life.

The challenge for me at this moment is to focus on what I really want to accomplish.  As a result of this conference, my heart is telling me it's not so much about being published anymore.  (Does that surprise anyone else?) What I really, really want more than anything is to become a great writer.  And I don't know if I can.  But as Linda Sue Park reminded us, it doesn't matter if we believe in ourselves or not.  What matters is that we believe in the work.  Amen!

1 comment: