Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tomorrow the World! (Today the Toilet Bowl)

If you're like me, you get to a place where only a good toilet-scrubbing can help.  I wish I meant this metaphorically, but I don't.  I literally mean that scrubbing the toilets is the only thing that can make me feel better.

We all have a to-do list a mile long, right?  When my list gets so long my brain starts sizzling, I head for the toilet brush.  It seems that a good 'ole house-cleaning does wonders for my creative, spiritual, emotional (add whatever physio-psych word you want to add here) life.  My mother used to wake up at 5:00 and vacuum the house.  I thought it was crazy and a sure sign that I would have to institutionalize her later in life (or myself due to lack of sleep in my growth years), but now I kind of get it.  She needed to clear those cobwebs first thing in the morning, or she couldn't focus the rest of the day.

I find the same is true for me now.  Maybe it's sign that I'm older.  I can't concentrate on too many things at once.  Then again, maybe cleanliness does lead to godliness, or at least a decent approximation of maturity.  Whatever the reason, I gladly pick up that toilet brush and scrub away.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! You don't know this about me, but this summer my basement flooded TWICE. My house has been turned upside down all summer. It's affected my writing, my exercising, my cooking, my mood....my everything. This week (fingers crossed) everything should be repaired and we can finally get back to normal. Other than blogging, I have no writing goals for this week...I just want to get my life back in order...So I know where you're coming from. :)

    Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete