Thursday, September 9, 2010

And so it goes...

I carried through on my promise to work through all the picture books in the library.  And you didn't think I would keep going, did you?  After the first few books this week, I wasn't sure I would either.  I hit a couple of "oldies but goodies" right away -- picture books from the 1980s that had at the minimum of 2000 words a piece.  I don't know if I'm a product of my culture or not (probably), but that is an awful lot to digest at night with your kiddie-pie.  I'm glad picture books have scaled back.

The one worth mentioning this week is The Babe and I by David Adler.  I didn't think I was going to like it.  I'm not into baseball at all, and period pieces aren't my favorite either.  But I was surprised.  It's a great example of how to intertwine history with a really good story.  I think I even teared up in the library.  Hopefully no one saw me behind the stacks (although I do wonder what the librarians think of the crazy weepy lady who keeps showing up to read through the children's section).

No comments:

Post a Comment